Following successive pastorates, Dr. James Francis Ross became pastor in 1913. During his pastorate, a new lot was bought in the Claremont-Rockridge district on College Avenue. The reason for moving from downtown Oakland to the new site was the perception that downtown was already adequately-churched. Greater need now seemed to exist in the residential areas.
Church Elder Duncan MacMillan led the construction of the present sanctuary under the guidance of his celebrated architect and boss, Julia Morgan. The construction was completed in 1917.